October 28th is National Chocolate Day, so you have the perfect excuse to indulge in this sweet treat all you want. To really celebrate, we recommend getting adventurous and trying some new chocolate flavors we bet you never knew existed. If you’ve got the guts to try the weirdest chocolate bars from all over the world, here’s a useful guide to 10 of the most unusual flavors we found to start your culinary adventure.
1. Have you ever heard of savory chocolate? It’s a delicious reality with the Sander’s Potato Chip Chocolate Bar. Milk chocolate packed with bits of potato chips might sound pretty weird, but the sweet and salty combination is surprisingly good and definitely worth trying on your journey of exploring new flavors.
2. Prefer something more unusual? No problem, Vosges Mo’s Dark Chocolate Bacon Bar is the perfect choice for those who love having chocolate for breakfast. Bits of hickory smoked bacon, Alderwood smoked salt, and 62% dark chocolate is a combo that’s as extraordinary as it is seductive – we’re thinking breakfast in bed. While this chocolate may sound totally off the wall, chocolate covered bacon has long been a weird and delicious treat found in the Southern US. If you like salty and sweet contrasts, this is a chocolate bar for you!
3. A great alternative to bacon & chocolate is The Hunger Games Beef Jerky & Smoked Mesquite Milk Bar from Wild Ophelia. This movie-inspired chocolate bar is sure be a fun and unusual gift to all the ‘Hunger Games’ lovers as well as those who prefer beef over bacon for breakfast.
4. Want to baffle your taste buds even more? Try a Ramen Noodle Bar from Komforte Chockolates! Yes, there’s no mistake, dried ramen noodles in the chocolate give it a nice crunch, and make this bar a fun gift to remember those college days filled with a lot of Ramen noshing.
5. Are you one of those people who can’t live without Sriracha sauce? Then, the Sriracha Hot Sauce Spicy Chocolate Bar is made just for you! While for some the combination of garlic, chili, and chocolate is a little too much, for others it will definitely hit the spot and become a new go-to treat for their sweet & spicy cravings. If nothing else, this chocolate bar could serve as a fun and harmless prank to a friend that deserves it.
6. Sriracha wasn’t always the king of spice, there are those who will never forget the unique heat of wasabi. To sate their sweet teeth, the Lindt Company has come up with a Wasabi Dark Chocolate Bar. Move over sushi, this Japanese horseradish combined with 43% dark chocolate can blow your head off!
7. Japan has plenty of interesting flavors to offer to any chocoholic. The Nestle company alone has introduced over 200 original flavors in Japan, earning Japanese chocolate its own special place on our list. Green colored Matcha Green Tea Kit Kat Bars, Zunda Kit Kats made from edamame, purple sweet potato Kit Kats, and smoky Gouda Cheese Kit Kats are just a few of the favorites on the local market. If you’re lucky, you can find some of these exotic flavors imported to your local Asian Market.
8. Another unique option that infuses Indian flavor is the Naga Bar from Vosges. Sweet curry powder and coconut flakes in a milk chocolate bar is definitely exotic enough to be worth trying.
9. There’s chocolate for everybody out there, even for smokers! Containing cigar leaves marinated in rum and cognac, Cigar Chocolate is made for nicotine and chocolate lovers alike.
10. Are these sweet treats not weird enough for you? Then you should consider trying ant-flavored Chocolate. But be warned this option is for the bravest and most adventurous. Containing real red fire ants, this chocolate is truly something worth experiencing in your life at least once, just like skydiving. What does it taste like? We’ll leave it up to you to find out!
There’s nothing wrong with more traditional flavors, but why not use today as a chance to expand your horizons? Get out there and explore new original flavors on National Chocolate Day, and let us know in the comments below about the most unusual chocolate you’ve ever tried.